Here we go again the guy who was elected President of the US Conference of Catholic bishops this past spring is having another hissy fit. Archbishop Dolan’s circle seems to think that he is more Catholic than Cardinal Francis George of Chicago. Ignoring Cardinal George’s recent observation in his new book “God in Action” the Cardinal says the Catholic bishops have no moral authority left, no one is listening to them.
Than why has Archbishop Dolan announced the establishment of the Ad Hoc Committee for Religious Liberty? Reasonable people could conclude it is further squandering Church resources on an ego trip.
The Archbishop says he needs this Ad Hoc Committee for the following reasons :
• The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is seeking to force private healthcare providers to carry contraceptive and sterilization services
• HHS wants to force the USCCB’s Migration and Refugee Services to provide “the full range of reproductive services”
• The federal government is seeking to force international relief programs to offer reproductive health services
• The Department of Justice is attacking the Defense of Marriage Act, arguing that support for marriage is a form of bigotry
• The Justice Department is attacking a religious liberty known as the ministerial exception; it insulates religious employers from state encroachment
• New York State recently legalized gay marriage, providing a very narrow religious exemption.
Dolan apparently feels contraception, gay marriage, are a higher priority than jobs the death penality, immigration legislation re: the Dream Act and the fact that many in our country have no medical coverage, and are going to bed hungry. He would do better to join the Demonstrators on Wall Street to get his priorities right. Clearly he needs to remove those rhinestone blinders, and stay away from the wine.
How can any thoughtful minded individuals take him seriously? Clearly he has lost his bearings, and is totally disconnected from the “Sense of the Faithful.” When will he start listing to the Catholics in the pew on these issues?
Rainbow Sash Movement